THE BYLAWS OF
THE MINNESOTA ASSOCIATION OF MUSEUMS
With amendments approved at the MAM Annual Meeting 09/10/2012
Article I Name
The name of this organization shall be the Minnesota Association of Museums, hereinafter referred to as MAM.
Article II Definition of a Museum
The Minnesota Association of Museums defines museums as organizations with professional staff or the equivalent (paid or unpaid) that are primarily engaged in the acquisition, care, and exhibition to the public of objects or interactive exhibits owned or used by the institutions. Further, a museum is understood to possess some or all of the following characteristics: 1) organized for essentially educational and/or aesthetic purposes; 2) owns or uses tangible objects, either animate or inanimate; 3) cares for these objects; 4) exhibits these objects to the general public on a regular basis at or in a facility which it owns or operates; and 5) provides educational and/or cultural programming. These "museums" may include museums, arboretums, zoos, historical societies, science centers, and similar organizations located in the state of Minnesota.
Article III Purpose and Goals
Section 1: Purpose
The Minnesota Association of Museums is a non-profit organization that exists to provide a forum for individuals who work in and with museums throughout the state.
Section 2: Goals
- To foster and encourage communication among museum professionals in Minnesota.
- To promote Minnesota museums as a public resource for learning and recreation.
- To provide educational opportunities and training for museum staff, both paid and volunteer.
Article IV Membership
The membership shall consist of individuals whose dues are currently paid to support MAM.
Membership dues and fees shall be determined by the Steering Committee and reviewed as needed.
Article V Offices and Vacancies
- Chair, who shall be the chief executive of the Steering Committee. The Chair shall preside at all meetings of the membership and of the Steering Committee, prepare the agenda for all meetings, appoint chairs of special committees subject to the approval of the Steering Committee, and serve as ex officio member of all committees. The Chair shall have the duty to see that all resolutions of the organization are carried out. The Chair shall also maintain a liaison with museum groups throughout the state and the country.
- Vice Chair for Programs shall assume the position of Chair upon vacancy and shall preside at meetings in the absence of the Chair. Vice Chair for Programs serves as chair of the Program Committee and coordinates the annual conference.
- Vice Chair for Membership shall coordinate all membership campaigns and the development of an annual membership directory. The Vice Chair for Membership shall serve as chair of the Membership Committee and shall be responsible for management and maintenance of the membership records, unless otherwise delegated.
- The Secretary shall keep records of the annual meeting and Steering Committee meetings, conduct correspondence not specifically delegated to others and serve as the archivist of the organization.
- The Treasurer shall prepare an annual financial report and budget proposals and submit these to the Steering Committee for approval. The Treasurer shall receive all funds and disburse such funds as are designated by the Steering Committee in accordance with the budget. In addition, the Treasurer shall serve as a member (but not chair) of the Development Committee. The Treasurer and one other board member as appointed by the MAM Chair shall be designated with the authority to sign for the MAM bank account(s).
- The Vice Chair for Communications shall serve as chair of the Communications Committee and shall coordinate all communications with members and the public, including the website.
- The Vice Chair for Development shall serve as chair of the Development Committee and shall coordinate all development / fundraising activities undertaken by MAM.
- At-Large members will be nominated by and balloted by the membership. At-Large members will serve the membership, as guided by the Steering Committee, and be voting members of the Steering Committee.
- Ex Officio members of the Steering Committee may consist of heads of MAM task forces and other individuals designated by the Steering Committee. Ex Officio members of the Steering Committee have no vote on the Steering Committee.
Section 2: Vacancies or Removal From Office
- In the event of a vacancy in the position of Chair, the Vice Chair for Programs shall succeed to the office and shall serve in that capacity until the end of the term. Any other mid-term vacancies shall be filled by a majority vote of the Steering Committee to serve for the remainder of the term.
- Notice of a change in the Steering Committee shall be announced on the website. A vote to fill a vacancy must be announced in the agenda of the Steering Committee and communicated in writing to Steering Committee members at least seven days in advance.
- In the event that any member of the Steering Committee fails to perform designated duties or fails to attend Steering Committee meetings, he/she will be removed by a two-thirds vote at a Steering Committee meeting. A vote for removal of any Steering Committee member may not be taken unless notice has been given in the agenda communicated in writing at least seven days prior to a Steering Committee meeting.
Section 3: Representation
Officers and committee members shall be chosen to balance representation geographically, by museum discipline, area of specialization, and institution size in order to reflect the diversity of the museum profession in Minnesota.
Article VI Committees
Section 1: Steering Committee
- The Steering Committee shall consist of the Chair, Vice Chairs, Secretary, Treasurer, At-Large and Ex Officio members.
- The Steering Committee shall act as the corporation's board of directors setting policy and conducting the business of MAM between meetings of the membership and within the guidelines of the resolutions approved by the membership to whom it shall report its actions.
- Steering Committee members must be present to cast a vote. Each member shall have one vote. Ex officio members are not voting members of the Steering Committee.
Section 2: Standing Committees
- Each of the standing committees shall be chaired by a member of the Steering Committee and shall report regularly to the Steering Committee.
- The Program Committee shall have the Vice Chair for Programs as its chair. The Vice Chair is responsible to recruit at least three individuals that reflect the diversity of the museum profession in Minnesota. The committee will be responsible for planning the MAM annual meeting and programs throughout the year.
- The Membership Committee shall have the Vice Chair for Membership as its chair. The Vice Chair is responsible to recruit at least three individuals that reflect the diversity of the museum profession in Minnesota. The committee is responsible for seeking new and maintaining existing MAM members.
- The Communications Committee shall have the Vice Chair for Communications as its chair. The Vice Chair is responsible to recruit at least three individuals that reflect the diversity of the museum profession in Minnesota. It shall be responsible for the preparation and dissemination of a website, information brochures, and for coordinating all media contact including press releases and press conferences.
- The Nominating Committee shall be chaired by a member of the Steering Committee and at least two others from the general membership, none of whom are seeking reelection or election. It shall be responsible for seeking at least one person for each elective office, providing an opportunity for interested people to present themselves and presenting resumes of those interested in holding elective office to the membership.
- The Development Committee shall have the Vice Chair of Development as its chair and the Treasurer as a member. The Vice Chair is responsible to recruit at least two additional individuals that reflect the diversity of the museum profession in Minnesota. The committee shall be responsible for raising any needed funds for MAM activities and initiatives.
Section 3: Special Committees and Task Forces
Special Committees and Task Forces shall be created by the Steering Committee as necessary to implement the policies and resolutions of the members.
Article VII Elections
Officers shall be elected by a majority of the ballots cast by the membership and shall take office in the month of May following their election. All officers shall serve a term of two years. Positions shall be staggered with the Chair, Vice Chairs for Programs and Development, and Secretary elected one year and the Vice Chairs for Membership and Communications, At-Large members, and the Treasurer the following year. No individual shall be elected to one position for more than two consecutive terms or to the Steering Committee for more than eight consecutive years.
The Nominating Committee shall annually present a proposed slate of officers of the membership for a vote. The proposed slate shall be included in the website prior to the voting period. Voting may occur at the annual meeting or electronically/remotely in years when no annual meeting occurs.
Nominations may be made by members either from the floor at the annual meeting of the membership or via the website.
Article VIII Meetings
Membership There shall be an annual a meeting for the membership to elect officers, adopt resolutions, inform members of programs of interest, and determine the course of action for MAM. Written notice shall be provided at least thirty days prior to the meeting and will include the proposed slate of officers.
Steering Committee meetings shall be held at least four times per year. Notice shall be given at least seven days prior to the meeting. All Steering Committee meetings shall be open to the membership.
The Steering Committee shall coordinate periodic meetings appropriate for the entire membership.
Quorum for annual meetings shall consist of those members of MAM who are present. Quorum for Steering Committee meetings shall be those members of the Committee who are present.
Article IX Amendments
These Bylaws may be amended at any properly called annual meeting of the membership by a majority of the members present. Amendment proposed by the Steering Committee must be available to the membership in written form at least thirty days prior to the annual meeting at which they are to be voted on.